Thursday, January 15, 2015

Ali'i

My Catahoula hound Ali'i died a few days after Christmas.  There is so much good and beautiful still in my life, but Ali'i was a magnificent creature and the bond between us was intense.  Vicki Hearne, the writer and dog trainer, in her essay "Oyez a Beaumont," writes about the "dangerous ones" that take ahold of your heart and don't let go. Ali'i came from a line of dangerous hounds.  He was the grandson of my dog King, who hunted wild cattle with me in the high mountain forests, before we settled down to being staid and semi-respectable ranchers.  He was the great-great-grandson of my brother's dog Handsome, who was the first Catahoula I ever met, and whose eyes burned with a blue fire that I'll never forget.  Someday, perhaps, I'll look into a Catahoula puppy's eyes and see a glimmer of danger.  Maybe I'll still be strong enough to meet that dauntless gaze...

1 comment:

HBanquer said...

When humans look into a dogs eyes they see their own souls. Dogs make us better beings.

We lost one of one of our farm dogs to cancer.
Raised on a farm but the passing of a dog is something very different because we share so much with them. Its a symbiotic relationship. Some say it was our relationship with dogs that allowed us to use a part of our brain normally used for survival for creativity. Imagine if dogs had an opposing digit (thumb)! Book called "Guardians of Being" Eckhart Tolle.

Hank and Azi
Volcano