Tuesday, November 8, 2016

T.H. White's The Once and Future King

I finally got around to reading T.H. White's version of the Arthur myth and I'm kicking myself for not getting around to it sooner. Though it's just the thing I needed right now - White's good-hearted, riotous, animal-loving world has helped soothe my election anxieties.

Here's a pdf version, some OCR typos. Civilization is pretty cool sometimes. And funny. 
(The Wart is the kid nick-name for the young Arthur.  He gets lost in the forest early in the book.)

"Please," said the Wart, "I am a boy whose guardian is Sir Ector." 
"Charming fellah," said the Knight. "Never met him in me life." 
"Can you tell me the way back to his castle?"
"Faintest idea. Stranger in these parts meself."

"I am lost," said the Wart.
"Funny thing that. Now I have been lost for seventeen years.

"Name of King Pellinore," continued the Knight. "May have heard of me, what?" The visor shut with a pop, like an echo to the What, but was opened again immediately. "Seventeen years ago, come Michaelmas, and been after the Questing Beast ever since. Boring, very."
"I should think it would be," said the Wart, who had never heard of King Pellinore, nor of the Questing Beast, but he felt that this was the safest thing to say in the circumstances.
"It is the Burden of the Pellinores," said the King proudly. "Only a Pellinore can catch it— that is, of course, or his next of kin. Train all the Pellinores with that idea in mind. Limited eddication, rather. Fewmets, and all that."
"I know what fewmets are," said the boy with interest. "They are the droppings of the beast pursued. The harborer keeps them in his horn, to show to his master, and can tell by them whether it is a warrantable beast or otherwise, and what state it is in."
"Intelligent child," remarked the King. "Very. Now I carry fewmets about with me practically all the time.
"Insanitary habit," he added, beginning to look dejected, "and quite pointless. Only one Questing Beast, you know, so there can't be any question whether she is warrantable or not." 

No comments: