Thursday, February 18, 2016

Animals in a Landscape

I keep trying to look at humans as animals in a landscape.  Just a peculiar kind of primate creature walking around.  It's very difficult. A challenge.  Because we just have so much stuff all over us and around us, an elaboration of machines, buildings, decorations, hairstyles.  We carry around so many stories and artifacts.  I've been trained and educated to read the human story; it happens so fast I can't keep myself from making instant distinctions about race, age, social class, lifestyle choice.  All the human codes and signs.  We hallucinate so much onto the simple reality of human animals in a landscape.  Of course our landscapes are, for the most part, dominated by human construction which makes it even more difficult to dissolve the enchantment we have placed on ourselves.  All the things we must do because we are locked into our hallucination of the human condition.  As I said, I'm not very successful at this, but I'm working on it.
On the other hand, I passed a Golden Retriever in somebody's car at the supermarket and she gave me the big Golden Retriever smile, just beaming love out into the world with reckless abandon.  Maybe I'm hallucinating the love of Golden Retrievers but it made me feel all warm and fuzzy anyhow.

No comments: