Tuesday, February 9, 2016

See the Wild Goats

So I got an invitation to a sustainability forum at a fancy hotel on the other side of the island and I couldn't resist going, despite the evident ridiculousness of the idea that I would drive two hours to listen to speeches by very important people about saving the world from people like ourselves who consume resources with abandon, driving here, flying there, which is all justified of course because we are so important.

Lounging on the black lava at the intersection where I turned towards the fancy hotel were three or four wild goats, idly watching the traffic go by in seeming complete contentment and bemusement. Really, I think they were laughing at us in our shiny metal contraptions hurrying here and there, trying to get to somewhere that they already are, all day long.

But goats are not sustainable because they eat native vegetation, so they should stop being so smug, darn it!

No comments: