Thursday, April 22, 2010

Organic

People ask me all the time why don't I get organic certification for our ranch. I could probably ask for more dollars for our beef. Then again I'd probably price myself out of my local (Ka'u) market. But that's not the main reason. The main reason is that the idea of organic doesn't appeal to me. I mean I support it in general but I just can't get excited about it. Mainly I just see the certification process as a whole bunch more words to manipulate and papers to fill out in a world with way too many words and papers going around already. Something like that. But what does get me excited is soil science. Stuff like this from "The Living Soil" chapter of the SARE publication: Building Soils for Better Crops www.sare.org/publications/bsbh/bsbc.pdf Bugs, fungi, bacteria, slugs, nematodes...and cows.

No comments: